Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Mimi ni mwanafunzi. Sina pesa.

That's one of about 4 phrases I have learned in Swahilli so far. It means "I'm a student, I have no money." I think it will be the phrase I come to use the most...comes in very handy when bargining at markets and with beggars and other such things. We have our first official class tomorrow nad I'm very excited, and just a little (ok, maybe a lot) nervous.

It's hard to believe I've only been here about 3 days and I have done so much. They are definetly keeping us busy. So I'll give you just a short overview here.

The plane ride was good, just long. There was a 12 hour ride to Dubai and then a 5 hour trip to Kenyatta National Airport, where we got our visas and meet the SIT staff. After packing all our luggage into one small van and outrselves into another, we headed off towards our orientation site on the outskirts of Nairobi. Not 5 minutes out of the airport we saw giraffes grazing! It was such an awesome welcome. Some os us have a theory that they are planted there for tourists, but they were cool nonetheless. We got to our site at about 6 and spent the rest of the evening getting to know each other and eating dinner. The food here is good - pretty bland and very basic meat and potatoes. But it will get me by.

We spent the next two days at this site - it was some sort of combo of a hostel and convent that was very nice and even had hot showers! We took a bus tour of Nairobi, which, although it was kind of superficial. it was still good. On the second day we were split into groups and dropped off at different places around the city. I got to go to Kenyatta National Hospital, which was intense. there were so many people everywhere just waiting, and it was by no means sanitary. We got to see their HIV/AIDS center, which is doing some awesome work, as well as there Family Planning center. It was cool to be in smaller groups in the city and I really enjoyed it.

After that, we went to the Giraffe Center where I got to kiss a giraffe! They are HUGE! And so friendly. They even all knew their own names and would come when they were called. It was really cool. And defintely a good stress reliever after the hospital. Other then that. we have just been havng hte basic safety talks you would expect and a lot of group together time. It's a little intense...But we move into our homestay families on Saturday, so that should help in that area. I am very excited and nercous to meet my family...should be an intersting experience.

As for the adjustments, I think I am doing well so far. There have been a few "what the hell am I doing here?" moments, but I think that's to be expected. I am a little homesick, but they have been keeping us way too busy to really get into that. It has been hard adjusting to the lack of technology (especially when it comes to communication) and the cold showers. Also, the idea that I will be here for another 3 months seems a little overwhelming now that I am actually here. But as I said, I think that's all pretty normal.

Ok, I am going to cut myself off now before this gets too long. But I think I should be able to get online again soon so hopefully there will be another update! Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

leslye said...

awesome update - PLEASE keep it current!
love you and miss you
mom

Morgan said...

Glad to hear that you are doing well! I am so jealous about the giraffes!

Have a great time, be safe, and take lots of photos!

I told everyone on tour about your travels and they are all impressed. (It isn't that easy to impress seasoned travelers like us tour folk!)

-Morgan

Emily said...

hey lady!! i'm so glad to hear that you are doing well... it's an amazing inspiration for what i want to be doing this time after graduation... i hope that your travels continue to be fruitful and i will definitely be praying and thinking of you... take a ton of pictures, and if you get a chance put some on facebook! i miss you already and can't wait to hear more!!!! lots of love!
em

Nashipa said...

That's so funny - mimi ni mwanafunzi is definitely about one of the most useful phrases - especially when walking place the admas market!!! Make sure someone shows you how to get back into the real market - walk down the road past uchumi to the end where you see the little food shop place and take a left - then the next right - then go straight down that road. follow it down to where there is a gated housing area and you'll see a passage way between a school fence and a building. This is an AMAZING maze of a market....

I'm glad you guys went to the Karen Blixen place!! Isn't kissing giraffes strange? and i'm so jealous you actually saw giraffes right outside the airport - thats awesome!!!

How are Odoch and Jamal and everyone else doing??? Did Dr. Jama take you on your Nairobi tour?

hope you're having fun!
Christina

b. said...

ahhh giraffes! thats sooo cute!! :) awww take care my little muffy and let me know all about your fun times (even though i understand that your access may be quite limited). i'll be stalking your blog fo' sho'. enjoy!
triangle love,
dough.

Alicia said...

Oh man Melissa, everything sounds incredible! I really miss you and wish it was possible to visit, but I doubt my insurance would cover the 50 million shots required overseas... Have an amazing time and update as often as possible! I love you and miss you... my bed just isn't the same w.out being able to see you from it!

Paula said...

Melissa,
What an amazing adventure! You have great genes so we know you'll make the most of this experience and have a great time. Keep us posted. Love, Jan and Paula

Morgan said...

pongezi kwa siku ya kuzaliwa!
or
kumbukumbu njema!
or
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Hope it is a good one - I'm sure it will be memorable. Enjoy yourself!

Miss you. :-)

Morgan said...

(Although my earlier comment was posted the day before your birthday in the US, I assume it has reached midnight in Kenya!)

mary said...

Hey Melissa!

It sounds like you are having and will continue to have a great experience over the next three months. Enjoy it while it lasts. It will be fun to read about all of your adventures. Take care.

Love, Mary and BeMong