Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Kenyan 21st and a new family

Ok, first off, a disclaimer. This keyboard (like most over here) are really hard to type on, so please don't judge my grammar. Oh, and this is going to be a very long post. I may not post again for a few days, so feel free to read a little and come back. I won't be offended. Ok, on to the post!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and the bday wishes - it means a lot to me! I may not have time to get back to all of you personally, but know that I appreciate it and miss and love you all.

So, to catch you up on my life since the last post, we have officially moved into Nairobi. We spent the last few days of orientation at another convent/hostel that was very nice. The next few days were nothing too special, although very busy. A lot of group time, talks about safety, what diseases we're going to get, homestay families, etc. We did get to take some tours of Nairobi and see the SIT office, so that was awesome. The office is a house that they converted - our main classroom is the entry hall/living room, with the upstairs rooms being offices or smaller classrooms.

On our first afternoon off, a small group of us went to Toi (pronounced toy) market, where they sell everything imaginable (this is the one you were talking about Christina!). It was overwhelming and kind of smelly but so stereotypically African. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures for fear that they would be taken - sadly, that seems to be a theme here. But it was everything you would think a market should be - smelly, crowded, full of stuff and a maze. It was kind of overwhelming, but I'm really glad I went.

The next day - the 9th, after a very interesting lecture about the tribes and their initiation rituals (I won't go into detail here, but let me know if you are interested - they are fascinating). And then a small group of us got to go to an orphanage for mostly HIV orphans - to say they were cute is a little bit of an understatement. I got to feed one of them, Liz, and she (ok, I'll be honest, we) made a bit of a mess. But she seemed happy. Then we got to play with them and they all seemed so happy. In a way, I was also happy for them. I know that they have a really hard life ahead of them, but right now they just seem so happy and content. They are fed, clothed, played with, and taken care of. Part of me couldn't help but thinking that they are the lucky ones. We left after they went down for a nap and went back to our hostel for lunch.

After a short health lecture, a group who had already gone to the orphanage went to a local pub - The Three Wheels. It is a very "authentic" pub, and we were the only wzungus (white people) there. Pretty cool. After a few Tuskers (which only cost about $1.50 and are twice the size of a normal beer), we went back for dinner, and the guard let us out for a night out on the town! Most of the group went, and it was an awesome bday eve celebration. I didn't do the whole 21 shots, or even close, but I did have several Tuskers and a huge shot of gin. Yes, shot. Straight. It was pretty gross. But then again, it was my birthday. We heard that there was a live band next door, so we went to check it out. There was indeed a live band and a dance floor! We all started dancing and it was so much fun. The guys in my group are awesome and were definitely looking out for us- it made me feel really safe, and it that way - and only that way - it reminded me of Apex (I miss you guys!).

They closed at about 11, so we went home after that. I did stay up until midnight, but not much later- I had been up since 6:30! But it was a great bday eve and I went to bed excited to meet my homestay family.

The next morning, we ate, packed and headed over to SIT for some more Swahili. The language is pretty simple and I think I am starting to catch on. They ordered pizza for lunch and we had a cake for my bday! It was very yummy and American. After lunch, we started leaving for our homestays in shifts. I was with the last group, and we all sat around, nerves flying trying to prepare ourselves.

At about 6, I arrived. My family is Mama Steph, her daughter Steph (people are called the name of their first child here- her name is actually Ann), Mama Steph's sister whose name I can't remember. Steph and Mama Steph are quite, but we spent a little while talking. It had been raining, and so the power went out. We spent a lot of time just sitting quietly by the kerosene lamp. I started feeling very homesick and wondered if I could actually live with this family. The power came back on eventually and that helped so much. We turned the TV on and ate a very yummy dinner of chicken stew and coconut rice. At about 10:00, I started falling asleep and headed to bed. I didn't let myself think too much, knowing I would just start crying. I actually slept pretty well.

I woke up at about 6:30 this morning, and since I knew the family didn't get up til about 8 or 9, tried to go back to sleep. But unfortunately, I could not. That's when I got really homesick and had my worst moment so far. I tried listening to music, going back to sleep, but nothing worked. Then I started writing in my journal, and that did help. It was a distraction at least. Mama Steph had said that Sunday was a "slow day", and knowing that the group had nothing planned, I was not looking forward to it. But at about 9, after catching up on my journal and collecting myself, I faced my fear.

I am happy to say that it was so much better then I expected. Mama Steph and Steph are still pretty quite, but they are getting more talkative. I ate some breakfast, relaxed and little bit as my fears subsided. I spent some time working on Swahili, and reorganizing my backpack and other stuff, which was very necessary. My spirits soared when I heard Mama Steph's sister turn on the shower - I have running water! While this is not abnormal, it's not exactly guaranteed either. Needless to say, I was relieved. Then I watched a little more TV with the family, did a little more Swahili and decided to try my hand at my laundry. I washed my clothes by hand (yes mom, by hand!) and hung them out to dry. Steph and her friends were definitely laughing at me a little bit, but in a good natured kind of way. I would have laughed at me too. I'm a pretty awkward person when it comes to these things. Or most things in general.

Then we ate lunch and watched some more TV. They have a really interesting mix of programs here - Scrubs, ER, a Spanish soap opera dubbed in English, Kenyan news. Its really interesting. It was raining again, but thankfully, the power held up. I worked on a little more Swahili until Libby, another girl in my program who is only 2 houses down came over and we walked to an internet cafe.

I am getting more comfortable in my home and think that I will be ok there. It might not be the best home, but they are nice and there is running water, so I can't really complain either. I am going through an adjustment time and it is hard, but have no fear. It'll pass and I'll be ok.

If you have read this far, thank you- I appreciate it!

8 comments:

leslye said...

sounds like you need a hug!
consider yourself hugged!
stay strong - I love you

Courtney said...

I'm so happy you got birthday cake for your bday! And it sounds like you're settling into the house - it may take some time... it's amazing what a (hot?) shower will do to make you feel better!

I second mom's hug - I'm proud of you! XOXO

Unknown said...

Okay - just to clarify - that Louis comment is not actually from him... though I'm sure he agrees! -- C

Alicia said...

even though I am the non-family post, I love you too! And it's so incredible that you are having this experience and stepping outside your comfort zone. And, in an ironic twist of fate, I'm in London and we don't have a TV here...you are getting to watch TV in Africa, and I can't in western Europe! haha.
Miss you so much. POP

Unknown said...

Hey Darling,
I'm glad u went to Toi!
I'm wondering - where is your homestay at?

You'll be fine =)

loooove you,
Christina

David Solomon said...

melissa!!!
#1) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
#2) MFFA got APPROVED for next year! (not sure if you checked your e-mail yet...)
#3) Congratz on the running water!
#4) Don't be sad! Enjoy it! I can't WAIT to go abroad this summer!!!
#5) POST CARD!
#6) Thank you for posting all the time... i read it when I am working at the PC ;)
#7) Can't wait to see you! HAVE FUN!

David

b. said...

i'm glad you had a fun bday!! dont worry-- we'll celebrate more when you get back!

Anonymous said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I' ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.